One of the most essential elements of a healthy IT environment is documentation. Most people view documentation as a tiresome chore, but it’s very critical when the need for troubleshooting arises, especially for dynamic products and solutions. IT support in Arlington has grown over the years, and although there are no defined documentation parameters that have been set, the common consensus is that it’s extremely important.
Documentation should incorporate relevant information, though this varies between networks. Documentation also avails information for people who operate, support, maintain, and protect your IT functions. This also permits any other IT professionals to perform their services in the event that your usual IT service provider is unavailable due to reasons such as contract termination or when switching from one IT service to another.
Documentation not only involves listing usernames and passwords and calling it a day— real documentation requires a little investment in time. Some of the important things that should be documented include:
• Contact information – This should include contact information on various decision makers or technical personnel who can make decisions in case of emergencies. In case of an emergency, the last thing you want is an unresolved issue since the decision makers can’t be reached via phone or elsewhere.
• Server configuration – This should include information on administrative account details, active directory i. e. domain name, and DNS configuration. You should also list information on your server hardware, such as serial numbers, warranty information, and contact information necessary in initiating warranty cases.
• Network documentation – This should entail your network roles and how data passes across it. This should be able to explain how devices are dynamically configured, whether DHCP, BootP and the individuals who have access to RDP and VPNs.
• Firewall setup – Along with firewall configurations, it’s essential to document your firewall setup and licensing keys, as well as the firmware versions.
• Administrative credentials – This involves recording the credentials of the main domain administrative account, any other administrative accounts, and the users given special administrative rights.
Why Your IT Support Should Consider Documentation
Some of the reasons why documentation should be provided by your IT support in Arlington include:
• Reduced information loss – Documentation is essential because it helps avoid loss of vital network information when certain employees leave the company, hence making the transition smooth.
• Easier troubleshooting – The real essence of documentation is to reduce the time needed to search for solutions to particular recurring problems. Creating a graphic illustration assists in spotting potential problematic areas in a timely manner.
• Task-sharing becomes easier – Documentation facilitates easier delegation of network tasks by the administrators, since all essential information is available in written form.
• Saves time – This is the greatest benefit that your company can accrue from documentation. Comprehensive and up-to-date documentation will save you lots of time.
Documentation is a critical part of your business and something that your IT support in Arlington should provide. CTG Tech is the ideal choice to provide your company with an up-to-date documentation kit. With us, you can be sure that you get a complete and detailed report of your network design, which will go a long way in helping your company. Contact us today for more information!