A Password Management Policy ensures that the rules set by the companies are seamlessly applied. It encourages the employees of an organization to use strong passwords so that there is no fear of security breach. This policy can be taught to the organizational employees under the training for security awareness. Most of the government organizations also define security framework for the companies. The features of this policy include the following:
- Including one or more number digits
- It uses both lower case and upper case letters
- The user must prohibit the use of words that are present in ‘password blacklist’
- Do not use the company name, abbreviations or any other relative information
- The inclusion of special characters like #, @, and $
- Not to use the words that are found in the employee’s personal information
Why Using Password A Management Policy should be a Mandate?
The creation of weak passwords has led the companies to support their employees with training and awareness campaigns to cater to the maintenance of stronger password system. So, it becomes necessary to use the password management policy. Here are some essential pointers to use it:
- Time of Keeping a Particular Password
The users must change a particular password within the reasonable time in order to avert the chances of a security breach. They must not dodge the password age and switch to the older one when they have to type a newer password after a certain period. The minimum time can be fixed at seven days. Under the password management policy, if a system administrator watches that the password is not changed or still there is a compromised password then it is the administrator’s duty to change it quickly.
- Controlling the Security Breach
With an application of the Password Management Policy, the organizational control must be present to maintain the security of your password. Under this, the management must cater to the following pointers:
- Not to display the passwords while entering
- Creation of strong passwords must be encouraged
- Confirming Individual’s identity before resetting a new password
- If a company feels any kind of password compromise, a new stronger password must be created
- The passwords must not be included in the automated log-in processes
- Enforcement of the Password Policy
Most of the times, it becomes tedious for the larger organizations to implement the Password Management Policy. Many companies frame these policies but for its right implementation, a well-knit system is required. This will help in keeping a check on the setting of stronger passwords by the employees and any kind of data breach too. Most of the IT Giants use in-built enforcement policy methods to keep a check on implementing them in the companies.
- Changing the Default Passwords
In the organizational set-ups, while moving from one password setting to the default settings and to the other production platforms. The changing of the default passwords is important because most of the organizational databases use it. Moreover, it is necessary for the stated policy to change after the user acquires a new system. The companies must also keep a check in case of the upgrades, as the default passwords are set up automatically. Even the networking equipment, peripherals, and in-built software also possess the default passwords so they must be changed before configuring it with the company’s systems.
- Ensuring the Security of the Applications
There are many web applications used by the companies to carry out seamless working of the organizational work. It becomes mandatory for the application developers to focus on the following security precautions:
- The passwords must not be stored in easily readable forms
- Use of a multi-factor authentication system must be encouraged for the work-related as well as personal accounts. This will prevail the security and authenticity of the users.
- The designed applications must support the individual users and not the groups
- These applications can initiate the role management process too so that while switching the work from one user to another. Here another person must not come to know about the user’s password.
To sum up, it can be seen that the companies must look forward to the security of the employee’s accounts. The Password Management Policy facilitates the users to avert any kind of security breach. The users must be made aware of the essentials of this policy so that the valuable data of an organization is not breached at any point while the employees are working on their systems.
Cyber security is a moving target and it is becoming more and more difficult for an in house IT staff to keep up with all of the variables & vulnerabilities. This is why businesses large and small are tending to outsource many of these functions to Experts that have the tools in place and experts in the field and years of experience.
Call us today and request a free network network security audit or click here and fill out the form. Also, check out our about us page and see the many awards we have earned and being a top tiered Managed IT Services Company world-wide.